Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FAQ's about Windows Security Center

:: Tech Chat :: Microsoft

Go down

FAQ's about Windows Security Center Empty FAQ's about Windows Security Center

Post by WebZ Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Q: What is Windows Security Center?
A: Windows Security Center lets you automatically verify the status of the major security functions: Firewall, Automatic Updates, Virus Protection, Spyware Protection, User Account Control, and Internet Settings. When a problem is detected, you receive notification and a list of recommended steps that may help secure your computer.

Q: When will I interact with, or see, Windows Security Center?
A: When all Windows Security Center components are in a secure and up–to-date state, no alerts appear. This condition is known as the "green" state. If any one of the components are in a nonsecure or undetectable state, a red icon that is shaped like a shield appears in the icon tray and a balloon message states that "Your computer might be at risk." This condition is known as the "red" state.

Q: How does Windows Security Center detect third-party products and their status?
A: In Windows XP SP2 and in later versions, Windows Security Center uses a two-tiered approach for detection status. One tier is manual, and the other tier is automatic through Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI). In manual detection mode, Windows Security Center searches for registry keys and files that are provided to Microsoft by independent software manufacturers. These registry keys and files let Windows Security Center detect the status of independent software. In WMI mode, software manufacturers determine their own product status and report that status back to Windows Security Center through a WMI provider. In both modes, Windows Security Center tries to determine whether the following is true:
• An antivirus program is present.
• The antivirus signatures are up to date.
• Real-time scanning or on-access scanning is turned on for antivirus programs.
• For firewalls, Windows Security Center detects whether a third-party firewall is installed and whether the firewall is turned on or not.
In Windows Vista, Windows Security center no longer uses the manual detection mode. All third-party products report their states into WMI. In addition, in Windows Vista Windows Security Center also determines whether the following is true:
• An antispyware program is present.
• The antispyware signatures are up to date

Q: What recommendations are made when my antivirus program is out-of-date or when I have no antivirus program installed?
A: When Windows Security Center does not detect an antivirus program, you receive the following message:

Your computer may be at risk. Antivirus software might not be installed. Click this balloon to fix this problem.

If you click the balloon, Windows Security Center opens in Control Panel.

In Windows XP SP2 and later versions, if you then click Recommendations, Windows Security Center displays a Recommendation dialog box. If you click How?, you are directed to a Web page that lists Microsoft Windows Security Center antivirus partners.

In Windows Vista, if you click Find a program, Windows Security Center opens a Web page that has links to compatible antivirus vendor pages. You can also click Show me my available options. If you click this, the following options appear:
• I have an antivirus program that I’ll monitor myself
• Don’t monitor my antivirus software (not recommended)
When Windows Security Center detects that an antivirus program is out-of-date, you receive the following message:

Program_Name reports that it might be out of date.

If you click the balloon, Windows Security Center opens in Control Panel.

In Windows XPSP2 or later versions, if you click Recommendations, the following two options appear:
• Update one of your installed antivirus programs. Note: You’ll have to make sure that you have a current subscription with your antivirus provider to do this.
• Get another antivirus program. How?
In Windows Vista, if the antivirus provider has supplied a way to update the signatures through Windows Security Center, you can click the Update now button. This opens the antivirus providers update mechanism.

You can also click Show me my available options. If you click this, the following options appear:
• Go online to get a different antivirus program
• I have an antivirus program that I’ll monitor myself
• Don’t monitor my antivirus software (not recommended)

If you got Additional Comments please reply to this thread.

Credits to Microsoft
Regards
Anime
WebZ
WebZ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male
Number of posts : 126
Operating System : Windows Vista
Warning System :
FAQ's about Windows Security Center Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100FAQ's about Windows Security Center Right_bar_bleue

Rewards System :
FAQ's about Windows Security Center Left_bar_bleue25 / 10025 / 100FAQ's about Windows Security Center Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2008-07-30

Back to top Go down